Who is this article for?
Q-Pulse administrators responsible for managing Q-Pulse.
IT access will be required to implement this update.
The Document Retrieval Service (DRS) is a free optional add-on that can be installed on your server in order to gain immediate access to your document module attachments.
The DRS will connect to your default Q-Pulse database however if you have multiple Q-Pulse databases then you will need to effectively clone the directories and configure these to access the other databases.
To configure multiple instances of DRS you will need to:
1. Copy the Website
The first step is to copy the existing website so that this can be re-configured to use your second database.
To do this:
- Browse to the DRS installation folder directory. By default this will be C:\inetpub\wwwroot\
- Copy the QPulseDocumentService folder.
- Paste this into the same directory.
- Rename this folder to something meaningful (e.g. QPulseDocumentServiceTraining).
2. Update the Database
The next step is to update the database referenced by the DRS.
To do this:
- Open the newly created folder.
- Open the web.config.
- Locate <add key="Database" value="Default" />
- Change the value to match the displayname of your Q-Pulse database.
- Save the web.config file.
Reminder: The display name of the database is not the SQL database name. The display name is the shown in the DBConnections.xml file (and is shown to the end users in the database selection list).
3. Convert to an Application in IIS
The final step is to convert the website to an application using Microsoft Internet Information Systems (IIS).
To do this:
- Open IIS Manager and locate the newly created folder.
- Right click on the folder and select Convert to Application.
- Confirm the site name and application pool and click OK.
Note: The default options will usually be acceptable when configuring this site. However, if you are sharing your server with other applications then you may wish to consider creating an application pool for each DRS instance.
4. Further Reading
- Getting Started with Document Retrieval Service (DRS)
- Document Retrieval Service Download Centre
- How to Set-up and Configure the Document Retrieval Service (DRS)
- How to Upgrade the Document Retrieval Service (DRS)
- How to Use the Document Retrieval Service (DRS)
- How to Use the Document Retrieval Service (DRS) with Sharepoint