Who is this article for?
Document managers, Document administrators
Within this article we will be looking into creating a new document record if you are wanting to edit an existing record, please find the article for that here.
This article is split into seven sections:
- How to Create a New Document
- How to Select a Document Type
- How to Edit Permissions
- How to Edit Notifications
- How to Upload a File
- Link to the Navigator
- Associated Documents
1. How to Create a New Document
When creating a document record there are two ways of doing so:
- Via the Document list and clicking the Create button.
- Uploading a file via the Navigator.
Uploading via Navigator will produce a panel from the right-hand side where the record details need to be filled in, whereas uploading from documents directs you to the full 'Create document' screen.
After you have chosen how to create your document you will need to do the following:
- Provide the mandatory title and ID and if you require doing so, an optional description or synopsis.
- Enter a version number.
- Select a document type.
- If the document type includes association custom fields, there may be additional information that will need to be supplied.
- Upload the file (unless you started the processes by dragging and dropping your chosen file into the system).
- Additionally, you can:
- Amend permissions (unless enforced).
- Set notifications (unless enforced).
- Link to the navigation structure.
- Link to Related documents.
- Select save to confirm.
See below for additional information on any of these steps.
Don't worry if you miss or forget any of the mandatory fields as the system will prompt you when you select save
2. How to Select a Document Type
- A document type will also need to be chosen by clicking the Select button from under the document type heading. This will bring up the select document type modal, as per the image below:
- Select a Document Type from the list by checking the box in the far left of the suitable row
- Select Confirm to associate this document type to the record
Once a document type has been associated to the record, restriction permissions and notifications will be pulled through. If these are not enforced, they can be edited if necessary
If an appropriate document type does not exist:
- Click the Create this will reveal the create document type screen in a new panel.
- Follow the instructions as defined here for adding a new document type
- Once created, the new document type will be applied to the new document record.
If you do not have permission to create new document types, the create option will not be displayed.
3. How to Edit Permissions
Documents can be restricted so that only users within a defined group can view/edit/delete this document.
If you wish to remove any already applied permissions to the document either:
- Un-tick the Restrict permissions check box to remove ALL permissions on the group.
- Select the remove icon next to the groups you wish to remove from the permitted list of groups.
To restrict the document:
- Tick the Restrict check box in the Restrict permissions box in the right hand side of the screen.
- Click the Select button. This will present you with a Select groups modal similar to below
- Use the Select groups modal (standard list screen filters apply) to find the required group(s).
- Once located, check the box in the far left of the suitable row(s).
- Select Confirm to associate the groups to the document.
- Once a group is selected, decide what level of permissions that group should have:
|Viewer||Can only view the document|
|Editor||Can edit the document|
|Editor with delete||Has the ability to edit the document and delete it|
|Administrator||Can do anything to the document completely unrestricted|
4. How to Edit Notifications
Documents can generate notifications when a new version of the document record goes live. These notifications are sent to groups of users. You can define the notification requirements in the right hand side column of the detail screen, as per the image below:
If you wish to remove any already applied group to be notified:
- Select the remove icon next to the groups you wish to remove from the permitted list of groups
To add a notification group to the document:
- Click the Select button under the Notifications section on the right hand side of the screen
- Use the Select groups modal (standard list screen filters apply) to find the required group(s)
- Once located, check the box in the far left of the suitable row(s)
- Select Confirm to associate the groups to the document
- Once the group is selected, select Notification requires acknowledgement if you require users to acknowledge receipt of the document
If the group does not exist, you can create a new one:
- Click the Create to create group panel will appear, similar to below:
- Follow the instructions for creating a new group as defined here
5. How to Upload a File
If you have used the 'Drag and drop' method, the file you wish to upload will already be associated to the record.
To upload a document to associate to the record:
- Click Select a file to upload, this will open your local file explorer
- Select the file you wish to upload and either:
- Drag and drop the file into the drag and drop area
- Click open
- Once a file has been fully uploaded, you will see the item turn green. If at any point you need to replace the uploaded file, simply repeat the process above to overwrite the file.
To remove an attached document, select the remove icon.
6. Link to the Navigator
If the document has the message as per the image below:
It means that the document is Live but, is not visible via the Navigator. To link the document to the structure via the Document details screen, follow the instructions below.
If you have uploaded via Navigator, the link to the structure will already be included in the detail. You can also have more than one link to Navigator folders
- Click the Select button under Navigation folders in the edit document details screen. This will present you with a select folder module, similar to below:
- Within this modal, navigate through the folder structure to where you wish your document to be placed
- Check the box in the far left of the folder you wish to place your document under
You can select multiple folders for where you wish your document to be placed. When the document is updated, it will be updated in all locations in the navigator.
- Once you have decided upon the document's navigator location, select confirm to add this to the document record
- Once you are happy with all of the details provided with this record, select Save to save the record and complete the upload.
- Standard documents will appear directly in the system and can be located in the document list and wherever the document has been linked in the structure
- Controlled documents must undergo the defined approval process before they are live in the system
- Effective dates may apply which will delay the issue of the document be the specified amount of days
7. Related Documents
Documents can be associated to other documents within the system. Relating documents together can be useful if, for example, the documents are all standard operating procedures and the procedures they define are naturally linked to one another. When associated, if a document is updated, the owners of all the associated documents will be notified.
To link documents to one another
- Click the Select button under Related documents header in the edit document details screen. This will present you with a select document module, similar to below:
- Check the box in the far left of the relevant row for the document(s) you wish to associate
- Select Confirm to complete the association