Who is this article for?
Module administrators, Managers with workflow permissions
Action types are the templates used to define the settings and parameters for the individual action within Q-Pulse Cloud across all modules. Each action contains a target duration, associated escalation and multiple options that can either extend or restrict the option which an actionee needs to undertake with carrying out the action.
The article has been split into four sections:
- How to View the Action Types List
- How to Create a New Action Type
- How to Edit an Existing Action type
- How to Copy an Existing Action Type
1. How to View the Action Types List
To view the action types list:
- Navigate Home then, Workflows and then Action Types and you will be met with a screen as per the image below:
- Select the action type you require from the list to view the details action type details. You will then be taken to a screen similar to the below image:
2. How to Create a New Action Type
To create a new action type:
- Navigate to Home then, Workflows and then Action types.
- Click the Create button on the top right of the Action type list, and you will be presented as per the image below:
- For the new action type you will need to add a Title - this will be used to identify the action type throughout the system.
- If required, you can then set an escalation path.
To select an escalation path:
- Clicking on the Select button under the escalation path section - this will open the Select escalation path modal, as per the image below:
- Select the escalation you wish to use from the list by checking the box in the far left column.
- Click Confirm to associate this escalation path with the action type.
If you need to create a new escalation path please see the article here on how to do this..
- Select a Target duration and duration unit - this can be set in either Hours or Days.
- You can then set the instructions for the action and also the priority of the action.
- You will then need to assign the action to the required modules - the can be singular module or all modules.
- Ensure that the Active checkbox is ticked as only active items will show in the selection lists
- You will then need to specify settings for the action - this will define what a user can or cannot do when carrying out the action and any options you require for the action type. The action type settings are listed below:
|Allow user to provide completion date||If enabled, actionees are able to select their own completion date when completing the action. If left disabled, the system will take the current date and time when they complete the action.|
|Allow user to request clarification||If enabled, users are able to create a sub-task and request that another user provides additional information regarding the aciton.|
|Allow user to cancel the workflow||If enabled, actionees can decide to cancel the workflow in progress. The owner of the relevant record will be notified when this happens.|
|Require outcome on completion||If enabled, the action becomes a 'Decision' point. You will have to provide additional information regarding the decision in the additional fields that will appear below. For more information see here/below|
Allow user to change priority
|If enabled, the user completing the action can amend the priority|
|Allow use to reassign action||if enabled, the user completing the action can change the actionee to another user in the system|
|Lock action||Locks any settings and details applied in this screen. When actions of this type are used within the system, users will not be able to amend the settings or details.|
|Require comment on closure||If enabled, users are required to leave a comment when completing an action of this type.|
- Select Save to confirm the details of the new action type.
Actions with outcomes
If you enable Require outcome on completion you will see additional fields appear for you to define the decision point.
Decision points are questions with a binary response for example Yes/No, Accepted/Unaccepted etc.
3. How to Edit an Existing Action Type
To edit an existing action type:
- Navigate to Home then Workflows and then Action types.
- Select the type from the Action types list by clicking on the title. This will present you with the Edit action type details page, as per the image below:
- You can then make any changes that are required, then click Save to ensure changes are confirmed on the system.
4. How to Copy an Existing Action Type
Copying an action type on the system allows you to use an existing action type as a template for a new one.
To copy an existing action type record:
- Navigate to Home then, System and then Action types.
- Select the options Options button from the Action type list on the existing type you wish to copy. You will then be presented with a Copy option. Clicking this will take you to the Copy Action type page as shown in the image below:
- You can then make any changes that are required for the copied version of the action type, then click Save to ensure changes are confirmed on the system.
Any changes made to the copied version of the action type will not affect the original type