Who is this article for?
System Managers, System Administrators
Custom fields are available across all modules and enable additional data to be recorded against records. There are several different types of custom fields from dates, decimal, label, multi select list, multiline text, number, single select list, text, URL or yes/no, to guarantee all additional data that needs to be recorded can be. Custom fields created are system wide to ensure inter-module continuity in reporting. In addition to this, it ensures that only additional data deemed relevant is logged against records, rather than allowing anyone to define fields.
This article is split into the following sections:
- How to View the Custom Fields List
- How to View a Custom Field's Details
- How to Create a New Custom Field
- How to Edit a Custom Field
- How to Copy a Custom Field
How to View the Custom Fields List
To view the list of currently created custom fields:
- Navigate to Home then System and then Custom fields. You will be taken to the custom fields page as per the image below:
- Select one of the options from the list to view the details of the custom field.
How to View a Custom Field's Details
To view a custom field's details you can either:
- Click the Title field from the custom field list page.
- Select Options button from the right hand side of the Custom field page and click View.
You will be taken to the Custom Field Details page as per the image below:
How to Create a New Custom Field
To create a new record:
- Navigate to Home then, System and then Companies.
- Click the Create button and you will be taken to the create company screen as per the image below:
- Complete the steps below:
- The first section of the custom field screen contains their key details such as:
- Title - The name of the custom field
- Label - The label used to identify the field when used with a record e.g. Date, Please Select, Additional Information.
- Help text - A 'tooltip' that will appear when a user hovers their mouse or pointer over the field when used in a record
Each mandatory field is shown with a * next to the field title.
- Complete the mandatory details fields
- Ensure that the Active check box has been ticked.
- Tick the check box for which modules the field will be available in
- Select the Field type. This will update the screen to include additional fields that relate to your chosen option.
- Click Save to confirm the creation of the new custom field. If the field is set as active, it will be available for selection in the associated modules.
Once a custom field has been saved, the field type is locked and cannot be updated.
How to Edit a Custom Field
To edit an existing company record:
- Navigate to Home then System and then Custom Fields
- Select a custom field record from the list to view the record details. Then select the edit icon to edit the custom field record.
- Click the Options button and click Edit on the right hand side of the page on the relevant row.
- You will be taken to the edit custom field page as per the image below:
- To confirm any changes you have made, click Save.
How to Copy a Custom Field
To copy an existing custom field record:
- Navigate to Home then System and then Custom Fields.
- Click the Options button and click Copy on the right hand side of the page on the relevant row.
- You will be taken to the copy custom field page as per the image below:
The new custom field record should include key details from the copied custom field record.
The new record should include key details from the copied record:
- Associated modules
- Field Type
- Specific field options such as Display Type or Field/List Values
- Once you are wishing to confirm changes, click Save.