Who is this article for?
IT Personnel planning an upgrade to Q-Pulse 7.
IT knowledge access required.
Important: This article is part of a series of articles covering the upgrade process. Please visit How to Perform a Q-Pulse 7 Upgrade to view the entire process.
The first component to upgrade is the database. This process involves using an upgrade utility which will confirm the result of the upgrade.
The length of time required to upgrade the Q-Pulse database will vary depending on the overall size of your database. However, the upgrade process should generally only take a few minutes to perform.
This article includes steps on:
1. How to Backup the Databases
Before upgrading the database it is essential to backup the database and validate that the backup has been successful.
If you experience a failure or error during the upgrade process then it will be necessary to restore the backup, correct the problem and then attempt the upgrade again.
For details on how to perform a backup please see How to Backup the Q-Pulse Database.
2. How to Perform the Database Upgrade
The Q-Pulse database upgrade is performed using an upgrade utility. This utility will update the database schema, create any additional tables, indexes, views or objects needed to run the latest version of Q-Pulse.
When the utility has completed it will display a log file confirming either a successful upgrade or details of any errors that took place. It is important you save this log.
To perform the database upgrade:
- Confirm the database backup previously taken is valid.
- Open the Q-Pulse installation package and bowse to the DBUpdate folder.
- Launch GaelDatabaseMigrator.exe.
- In the ‘Server’ box, type the name of your SQL Server (and instance if required). This is usually shown in the format of:
- (local) for SQL Server default instance
- (local)\SQLEXPRESS for SQL Server Express default named instance
Note: References to ‘(local)’ assume the utility is being run directly on the server hosting the database. If the utility is being run on a separate computer, provide the full address to the database server.
For example: DBServer01\SQLEXPRESS.
- Enter your SQL Administrator credentials.
- Select the database(s) you want to upgrade from the multi select drop down list. By default, the database will be QPulse5.
Important Note: Please only select the database(s) you wish to upgrade. You can check which database(s) need to be upgraded by checking the DbConnections.xml file for the display name of each Q-Pulse database. This file is located in the following directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Gael Ltd\Q-Pulse Server.
- Click Run.
- Click Save Log. This will allow the logs to be stored and reviewed as confirmation of a successful upgrade.
With the minimum requirements in place you are now ready to begin the upgrade. Please see How to Upgrade the Application Server for the next steps or How to Perform a Q-Pulse 7 Upgrade to review the whole process.