Who is this article for?
IT personnel performing a Q-Pulse upgrade.
IT access will be required to implement this update.
Q-Pulse 7.1.6 introduces bug fixes and feature updates, including changes to how TLS is used. The TLS change has also updated the pre-requisites of the application. If the pre-requisites have not been installed then you will experience this error:
Error 27502. Could not connect to Microsoft SQL Server. Provider cannot be found. It may not be properly installed.
This article outlines how to resolve the issue and is split into the following sections:
- How to Fix Provider Cannot be Found
- Further Reading
1. How to Fix Provider Cannot be Found
This error occurs as a result of the TLS changes included in the 7.1.6 update. These changes require a pre-requisite SQL component (Microsoft OLE DB Driver) to be installed. This may already be installed in your environment, however if you are using Microsoft SQL Server 2017 or lower then you may need to install this in order to continue with the upgrade.
Need more information on the changes? Visit Q-Pulse 7.1.6 Release Notes for more details.
To check if Microsoft OLE DB Driver is installed:
- Press Start.
- Launch Control Panel, then Program and Features.
- Search for 'Microsoft OLE DB Driver for SQL Server'.
- If the Microsoft OLE DB Driver is not listed then you will need to install it.
To install the Microsoft OLE DB Driver
- Open the Q-Pulse installation media.
- Browse to SMO Version 10 folder.
- Run msoledbsql.msi
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- Once complete, run the Q-Pulse Server install wizard again.